LEITH or BONNINGTONS
Edinburgh
1798 - 1853

Founded by Balenie & Kemp in 1798 then taken over by John Haig in 1804. After the lifting of prohibition in 1814 John Haig was one of only five distillers to register for the commencement of exports to England.

In 1835 Haig & Co installed a Coffey still for the production of grain spirit for their London gin business.

From 1804 - 1853 it was operated by a succession of companies within the Haig dynasty. Distilling closed in 1853. The site was considerably extended and its warehouses are still in existence today under the United Distillers Bonnington Road banner.

Experts Comments

“In essence, Kennetpans is part of the DNA of the modern whisky industry worldwide. That it and its surroundings are so complete is remarkable and it deserves to be preserved as a landmark to the heritage of the whisky industry. Kennetpans is the ground zero of the whisky industry”

Neil Wilson
Whisky Historian, Writer and Publisher