1813 - 1856
Founded by James Haig, it was regarded as being one of the largest distilleries in Scotland in its day.
Plans dating from the 1840s show it covering several acres with its buildings enclosing four large boilers, two vast mash turns, fifteen wash backs and no fewer than six pot stills. There were three malt stores, two spirit stores, four warehouses and two engine houses. In addition, there was a line of workmen’s cottages plus stables, cattle byres and piggeries.
The Haig’s operate Sunbury until 1834 when Graham Menzies acquired a share and took over the running of the distillery. A Coffey still was installed in 1848 and was licensed from 4th January 1849. Menzies bought out the Haig’s and moved the production of grain whisky to his vast new Caledonian Distillery at Haymarket. The Steins briefly owned Sunbury but by 1856 it was closed. Only one high bonded warehouse survives which was used by Whytock & Reid, an antique and refurbishing company.