Marlfield Distillery Clonmel, Ireland
1817 - c1859
Built as a grain mill in 1769 by Stephen Moore.
Purchased by John Bogwell and used with great success for making cakes and baking.
Purchased by John Stein & Co in 1817 and the distillery was producing 8,268 gallons of whisky per week in 1818. By 1838 the distillery employed 150 people and the pot still whiskey made had here had a good reputation.
Marlfield was sold to John Jameson in the late 1850s, but when the duty was increased between 1853 - 1858 from 2s 8d to 8s per gallon, the Jamesons had no option but to close it.